(02) 9222 1545

Other Visas

Significant Investor Subclass 188 Visa

It is a 4-year temporary visa which can become permanent when later applying for the Business Innovation & Investment (Residence) Subclass 888 visa – presuming one has maintained an investment in Australia for 4-years or established an ownership interest in an Australian business.

You will need to spend at least 160 days in Australia on your Significant Investor visa, and be sponsored by a state or territory government to qualify for a permanent subclass 888 visa.

If you have applied for the Business Innovation stream, a 2-year extension is possible once you have held the subclass 188 visa for 3 years, giving you 6 years from the date of grant of the original visa.

Business Visitor Visas

This visa is valid for up to 3 months at a time to conduct business activities and cannot be extended whilst in Australia.

It only has limited work rights – in particular, any work undertaken in Australia must not be ongoing in nature and must be for a maximum of 6 weeks. Work must be highly specialised and not able to be undertaken by an Australian permanent resident or citizen.

The visa also allows recreational activities including tourism and non-formal studies for up to three months.

Business Talent Visa (Subclass 132)

Subclass Applications are by invitation only. To be invited to apply, a person must lodge an Expression of Interest, be nominated by a state or territory government, and

  • have personal and business assets of AUD1.5 million (AUD400,000 must be net assets in the business), and have a business turnover of AUD3 million, or
  • have obtained at least AUD1 million in funding from an Australian venture capital firm for a promising high value business idea.

Business Innovation and Investment Provisional (Subclass 888)

This is a 4-year visa for business people and willing investors seeking to establish business operations in Australia and obtain permanent residence through their business activities. To become eligible for permanent residence (under the subclass 888 Permanent Australian visa pathway) you must either hold an ownership interest in an Australian business or maintained your investment for 4 years. After 3 years on the subclass 188 visa, it can be extended in Australia for 2 more years allowing you further time to meet requirements to move to permanent residence.

Graduate Work Visa

The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) allows an individual to temporarily live, study and work in Australia after he or she has finished their studies. One is only able to access this visa subclass as a primary applicant only once.

This visa grants an individual unrestricted work rights in Australia and the ability to include family members in the application including spouses, de facto and same sex partners, dependent children.

General Skilled Migration

Employer Sponsored Migration

New Skilled and Employer Sponsor Regional Visas with a Pathway to PR

From November 2019, new regional provisional skilled and employer sponsor visas will be introduced to replace the current subclass 489 and 187 visas. Further, from November 2022, a new regional permanent residency visa, subclass 191, will supplant the current 887 visa.

Electronic Travel Authority (Subclass 601)

This visa lets you visit Australia:

  • to visit or for business visitor purposes
  • as many times as you want, for up to a year
  • and stay up to three months for each visit.​

Only certain passport holders ​can apply for this visa online. You may need to use a travel agent to apply for this visa. An ETA is an electronically stored authority for travel to Australia. You must be outside Australia when you apply and when the ETA is decided.

eVisitors (Subclass 651)

  • enter Australia for up to three months during each visit during the 12 months from the date the eVisitor is granted
  • have a holiday or visit family and friends in Australia
  • study in Australia for up to three months in some circumstances
  • engage in business visitor activities while in Australia provided you:
  • do not work for or provide services to, a business or organisation
  • do not sell goods or services to the public.

Visitor Visa (Subclass 600)

There are two other visas that you can apply for online to visit Australia for tourism or business visitor activities:

Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601)​
eVisitor (subclass 651)

Tourism includes holidays, recreation and seeing family and or friends.

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

You must hold a passport from one of the following countries to be eligible to apply for the subclass 417 visa:

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Cyprus, Republic of
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland

Work and Holiday visa Temporary (Subclass 462)

This visa is for young people who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year.

You might be able to get this visa if you:

  • are at least 18 but not yet 31 years of age
  • don’t have a dependent child with you at any time during your stay in Australia
  • have a passport from:
    • Argentina
    • Bangladesh
    • Chile
    • Indonesia
    • Malaysia

Condition 8503 Waiver

People often contact us on seeking waiver of condition 8503. In this note I will explain what that is and how it is achieved.

Condition 8503 is a condition placed on a visa that stops the person lodging any other visa application in Australia after arriving in Australia except certain prescribed visas, eg a protection visa.

Turner Coulson Immigration Lawyers Sydney, Australia
Call Now Button