Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

About This Visa

You must hold a passport from one of the following countries to be eligible to apply for the subclass 417 visa:

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Cyprus, Republic of
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • HKSAR*
  • Ireland, Republic of
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Korea, Republic of
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom

* Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (includes British National Overseas passport holders).

  • Be aged between 18 and 30 years at the time of application and at the time the visa is granted
  • You must be outside Australia at the time you make your application
  • Have a minimum of, but is not limited to, $5,000AUD available to you on arrival in Australia
  • You must not have held this visa previously
  • You must intend to travel within 12 months of being issued this visa
  • You cannot have any dependent children
  • You may be required to complete health and character tests at costs incurred by you

Once the visa is granted, what are your conditions?

  • You can work and travel for a period of 12 months, from the date you first arrive in Australia
  • You can work for 6 months for any one employer
    **There are options to extend this 6 month limitation, if you need assistance with this, please contact us to discuss
  • You can leave and re-enter Australia as many times as you like for the duration of the visa
  • You can study for a maximum of 4 months
  • You can work in any chosen area of employment
    **If you want to apply for your second working holiday visa, be selective about your employment to meet the eligibility requirements of that visa.

If you have completed three months of regional and specified employment, you may be eligible to apply for your second working holiday visa.

Specified work is defined as, but not limited to, harvest work, fruit picking, fishing and pearling, mining and construction. This work must be in a regional area of Australia that does not include major cities such as Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, and Perth.


Why use Turner Coulson Immigration Lawyers?

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) visa can be refused for a number of reasons. The Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417) visa application also has strict criteria which all must be met and only very limited waiver provisions for age, English language and skill requirements exist.

It is essential that the visa application is assessed, structured and lodged in a way to satisfy all applicable DIBP law and policy. Turner Coulson (Immigration Lawyer Sydney) has years of experience handling the most complex cases and achieving positive outcomes in circumstances where the applicant would have failed if we were not involved.


What to do next and how to apply?

Getting the right advice upfront is essential so contact for a free no obligation discussion with one of our advisors who are ready and waiting to assist you applying for your visa.

We will assess your situation on an individual basis and provide you with the best advice to make your stay in Australia hassle-free.